Roller Coaster

Having a sick, aging parent is like a roller coaster ride (for me anyway). Part of it is the helplessness because there's nothing I can do. Part of it is being so far away and not being able to see for myself the things that are going on.

Dad seemed to have a relatively good weekend. He is still hooked up to the ventilator via a trach tube. However, he was off the ventilator for about 7 hours on Saturday before they put him back on it. He was off for a while on Sunday, but I don't think for as long. All in all, he seemed to have a pretty good weekend.

This morning I talked with mom and she said that Dad had a very restless night. He didn't get much sleep and this morning he wanted to take some of the many tubes out. I could tell in mom's voice that she was discouraged. She's usually fairly upbeat in the morning and she definitely wasn't today. Now I'm sure a lot of that is from pure exhaustion and some of it is from things just not moving like she/we think they should be.

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that he had his surgery; and although he seems to have made some progress in the last 48 hours, it doesn't seem like a whole lot since his surgery. I'm sure dad is very frustrated - this is not how any of us imagined his recovery. So, as usual, I appreciate all the prayers you can send up on his behalf. Specifically, that he can spend longer and longer off the ventilator; that he can regain his strength (he is VERY weak); that both he and mom can have an immeasurable amount of patience; that the swelling in his legs, feet, fingers, hands would decrease; and wisdom for the doctors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Updating! It's now June!

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .