A Strawberry Pickin' We Will Go!

Last week we had the pleasure of picking strawberries with Kara and her kids. What fun was had by all! I made jam for the first time (I really underestimated the amount of supplies I would need to make jam!). It was a lot of fun!

Here's some of the plants at McPeak Orchard: Let the picking begin:
The kids:
He's not even my kid, but isn't he so stinkin' cute!
Eric is proud as can be!
Jessica having some fun!
Here are the 'fruits' of our labor at home (I think Eric is trying to show how heavy they are and Jessica and Jaelyn just need some grooming tips!!). We had about 32 pounds of strawberries! Pretty much the whole time we were picking strawberries, Eric and Colin were yelling 'Here's a bottom!'. So here's a strawberry that looks like a bottom (you know - it has a 'crack' in the middle!) I'm sure it was Colin who started that, right Kara??
My first attempt at making jam was 12 pints and then 6 Tupperware containers. I still had about 1/2 of the strawberries left! I went and got some more supplies and finished the process and got 12 more pints (I didn't take pictures of those). So - the freezer is full and we should be enjoying some homemade jam for a long time!


This is what was left after my first batch:

Comments

TexasNeals said…
that's awesome laura. stay tuned in to my blog for a post just like that! we are planning on going to pick this week and i hope to take my first stab at jam making too!
you did a great job. looks like a fun day! :)
Laura said…
I have a great recipe for you!! Its oatmeal strawberry jam bars!! I will send you an email!!
The Clevelands said…
Stacey - I'm tellin' ya, if I can do it anyone can do! Can't wait to read about it!

Laura - please send me the recipe! Sounds great!
It was so much fun wasn't it. I love it. We made homemade strawberry shortcakes and strawberry jelly. Yumm

Popular posts from this blog

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .

Back to Updating! It's now June!