He Had The Nerve To Move To Topeka
So, I left it off that my most favorite boss in the world moved to Topeka, Kansas. On his last day, I half-joking said "If there's an opening, give me a call". He left in July 1993 and in September of 1993, he gave me a call to let me know there was an opening.
I left to go fo the interview. It was the hardest thing I ever had to consider - move away from Lincoln. My parents were sad and I am a people pleaser, so I try not to do anything to make people sad or mad. As I left for the interview, my dad was crying - I don't know about you, but to see your dad cry is just a gut wrenching thing for me! The interview went well and I stayed a couple of days with my boss and his family to get a feel for the town. I told him, that I didn't know if I could move. I know you can't live for your parents, but they have done so much for me that the thought of hurting them by moving was very difficult for me.
I think the turning point was when I got back to Lincoln and talked with my parents about it, my dad basically said to me that they raised me to be an independent person and if I thought this was a good move, it was OK with him. Altough it was hard for them to see me go, they were proud that someone would actually recruit me for a job.
So, In October of 1993, I moved to Topeka Kansas and started my new job (still in the insurance industry). I moved into my apartment and began 'church hopping' to see where I would fit in. The natural choice was where my boss and his family attended - at least I would know someone! But, I still wanted to check other churches out.
In December, my boss's wife called me (as I hadn't decided on a church yet) and told me their singles group was going Christmas caroling and I needed to go to that. Now that I think about, she rather demanded it and since I am a people pleaser, I complied! :) She told me there were 2 people listed to call to get more information. A guy named David Cleveland or a woman. Well, of course as a single gal, I'm not going to call a guy to get more information so I called the woman. I got the time and place and I showed up!
I had a good time caroling and met a few new folks. I didn't meet David that night. He was having girlfriend problems, so he had to take care of that! As it happened, I didn't officially meet David until March of 1994. However, I did get to see him a lot before then - although we worked at different organizations, we worked in the same building so I saw him on the elevator and in the cafeteria quite a bit (although at the time, I didn't know it was him - the first time we officially met was when I put it all together - a time you could actually use the line "haven't I seen you somewhere before?")!
So, in March of 1993, how did we officially meet? And what was the first date (or maybe not as I'm not sure you could call what we did a date!!?). And besides, according to David we were 'just friends' for a LOOOONNG time!
I left to go fo the interview. It was the hardest thing I ever had to consider - move away from Lincoln. My parents were sad and I am a people pleaser, so I try not to do anything to make people sad or mad. As I left for the interview, my dad was crying - I don't know about you, but to see your dad cry is just a gut wrenching thing for me! The interview went well and I stayed a couple of days with my boss and his family to get a feel for the town. I told him, that I didn't know if I could move. I know you can't live for your parents, but they have done so much for me that the thought of hurting them by moving was very difficult for me.
I think the turning point was when I got back to Lincoln and talked with my parents about it, my dad basically said to me that they raised me to be an independent person and if I thought this was a good move, it was OK with him. Altough it was hard for them to see me go, they were proud that someone would actually recruit me for a job.
So, In October of 1993, I moved to Topeka Kansas and started my new job (still in the insurance industry). I moved into my apartment and began 'church hopping' to see where I would fit in. The natural choice was where my boss and his family attended - at least I would know someone! But, I still wanted to check other churches out.
In December, my boss's wife called me (as I hadn't decided on a church yet) and told me their singles group was going Christmas caroling and I needed to go to that. Now that I think about, she rather demanded it and since I am a people pleaser, I complied! :) She told me there were 2 people listed to call to get more information. A guy named David Cleveland or a woman. Well, of course as a single gal, I'm not going to call a guy to get more information so I called the woman. I got the time and place and I showed up!
I had a good time caroling and met a few new folks. I didn't meet David that night. He was having girlfriend problems, so he had to take care of that! As it happened, I didn't officially meet David until March of 1994. However, I did get to see him a lot before then - although we worked at different organizations, we worked in the same building so I saw him on the elevator and in the cafeteria quite a bit (although at the time, I didn't know it was him - the first time we officially met was when I put it all together - a time you could actually use the line "haven't I seen you somewhere before?")!
So, in March of 1993, how did we officially meet? And what was the first date (or maybe not as I'm not sure you could call what we did a date!!?). And besides, according to David we were 'just friends' for a LOOOONNG time!
Comments