The Generosity of Friends

We have met some wonderful people since we have moved to East Texas. It was a difficult move for me as I was leaving good friends, 2 of which were more like the sisters I never had, to come to somewhere unknown. I'm not a good friend maker. I tend to be quiet unless someone else engages me first. I'm not a small talker. I'm a people pleaser - which means for me that I tend not to ask for things or call on the phone (see here for my post on phone calls!), etc. because I don't want to inconvenience someone. I know deep down, it's weird, but that's who I am. I also knew from past experience that my dear, beloved husband tends to work alot and if I didn't connect with some folks, I'd lose my sanity quickly!

It took awhile, but I can honestly say that I have made some great friends here. I appreciate you all reaching out to me and making me feel welcome and at home. I am particularly blessed at this moment by some friends from our Sunday school class. A couple weeks ago, Cindy approached me and told me that her daughter had a complimentary night at the Hampton Inn that had to be used by the end of March and she was not going to be able to use it. Cindy wondered if David and I would like to use it. OK - that's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned! So, they graciously offered that and then offered to watch our kids. Wow! I am humbled by their generosity. I can only hope that someday I can be so generous and sacrificial with my time. Not only did they just watch our kids, but here's a brief snippet of their 22 hours with our kids:

4:30 - dropped kids off
5:30 - they took Eric to baseball practice
7:00 - took kids to Pizza King
8:30 (or so) - came home and ate popcorn and watched movies
Went to bed way too late!

Next day:

9:00 - went to I-Hop for breakfast
10:30 (or so) - ran around trying to find the new Crayola 3-D color thing
12:00 - ate lunch
1:30 - we picked the kids up

Not only did they do all of the above, the kids came home with stuff (Easter eggs filled with candy, notebooks, squirt guns, sketch pads, dress up jewelry, etc.). Wow - did they spoil the kids. Here were some of the quotes from the kids within the first 30 minutes of taking them home:

“You know the worst thing about being with Ms. Cindy and Mr. Jon? You coming to pick us up!”

“I thought we could stay a week.”

“I’d like to stay for 10 days.”

“Mr. Jon and Mrs. Cindy are more funner than you guys.”

Wow - do we have a lot to live up to now!

So, thanks ya'll for being friends - I can't even begin to express how honored I am! I really don't want to forget to put someone's name down, but I think you all know who you are! Even though you may not go to the extreme above, your friendship means so much to me and is priceless!

Comments

Laura-that is so awesome! I am so happy for you guys! What wonderful friends they are. I am so glad that you accepted their gift and for their generosity.

I needed to ask you something today and I could never remember to call you. Now I know why I didn't! You were enjoying your hubby!
Laura said…
That is so wonderful!! It's all about loving each other! I think we forget that sometimes!!

Glad you had a wonderful time!

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Updating! It's now June!

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .