Weight Loss Journey

For some background information, you can read this post if you want.

I just wanted to blog a little about my journey of weight loss. You see, pretty much every woman in my family has some type of weight issue (except the really young ones - but I didn't have a weight issue when I was young either!). So, I'd like to blame some of my weight problems on heredity. However, I don't think heredity has anything to do with my main source of exercise (1 - get off couch; 2 - walk to fridge; 3 - open fridge; 4 - find food and put in mouth; 5 - walk back to couch). Now, I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty good exercise routine!

So, I have pretty much had only 2 constants in my life regarding my weight - I'm either losing weight or gaining weight. I'm very rarely maintaining.

So, if you had the chance to read the post that I linked to above, you'd know that about 3 months ago, I went for just a normal check up and had some blood work done since it was my first visit to this doctor. The day after my appointment, they called and told me there were some things that were elevated that should not be.

Well, that was enough to hopefully get me on the right track. I'm pretty much doomed in the health category - both my mom and dad's side of the family have heart problems.

So, the reason I'm blogging about this - #1 to keep me accountable and to hopefully look back and see the progress I've made; and #2 maybe it will encourage someone else who might be struggling.

To date, I've lost 30 pounds! I had my blood re-drawn and I haven't heard back from my doctor (I'm assuming no news is good news, but I do need to follow up to be sure). I've lost all the weight so far by just watching the calories that I take in and I also avoid sweets. I don't think sweets are bad for you in moderation; however, once I start with something sweet (cookies, cake, etc.), I'm not sure I'll be able to stop.

I joined a free online program called Sparkpeople that really makes it relatively easy to keep track of your calories. This is what has helped me quite a bit.

Thanks for letting me share this huge struggle! And, if ever I turn down food that you have offered, please don't take offense - it just means I'm finally realizing my limitations!

Comments

Debbie Ayers said…
Way to go girl...30lbs, that's awesome. Keep it up.
wow 30lbs is GREAT!!! thanks for sharing, you're not alone in your struggle!!!
TexasNeals said…
AWESOME job laura!!! i just wanted you to know that i have been inspired by your self discipline! that is something that i just really struggle w/ and you have done such a great job and been such a great example...i mean, my word, you turned down a pumpkin roll!!!! ;)
congrats on meeting your goal. keep up the great work!
Jenn Taylor said…
Wow! That is awsome. It is no small feat to loose 30 lbs. Your blog has really inspired others. I too have the same issues with self control and dicipline. We need to talk about that together and encourage one another. See you soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Updating! It's now June!

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .