Tough Love!

Boy, was it an emotional day today. Dad was still in a state of not wanting to do much. The morning and early afternoon consisted of a lot of me telling him that if he wanted to get better and get home, he needed to get up and do what is being asked of him. His normal response was to shake his head no. I even held up pictures of all the grandkids (I'm not against using a guilt trip!!). Even that didn't really work.


What seemed to make him think a little is when he shook his head no and I looked at him and said "So, you aren't even going to try, huh?" and then I walked out of the room crying (if I would have known that was going to do the trick, I would have done it a lot earlier!!).


So, he promised me he would try! In the late afternoon, he went off the vent for about 4 hours (while he's on the vent he's in a 'weaning' mode so it's not the full ventilator); he did his physical therapy and what I thought was a really huge step, he ASKED (yes, that's right!) to get out of bed and sit in a chair. So, he sat in a chair for a couple of hours this evening.

Physically, he made some good strides. However, I can tell his attitude still isn't the best. He's doing it because he said he would not necessarily because he wants to or thinks it will help. I think attitude is huge so I'm hopeful that his state of mind will catch up with his physical ability.

Just asking for continued prayers for his state of mind and for right words for me and mom. Also, for his continued recovery, strength, and patience (I know, same song; 2nd (or 50th!!) verse). Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .

Back to Updating! It's now June!