Bill, Where Have You Been All My Life??!
Or maybe I should say the last 4 weeks!
First, I'll tell you about the morning ('cuz you truly can't appreciate Bill until the morning has come and gone!). Mom and I came to the rehab facility around 8:30 this morning. When we came in Dad had the trach mask on (it is a mask that covers the trach tube - it blows oxygen in even though Dad is breathing on his own). He was sitting up in bed, so I thought it was going to be a good start.
I went down to get some hot chocolate and when I came back, dad was laying down and had the ventilator back on. When I asked him why, he said it just didn't feel good. I was so disappointed. Again, I just felt like Dad wasn't trying. I truly felt like I was sitting next to my dad watching him die. It definitely isn't a fun feeling. So, for the rest of the morning, we were all pretty sad saps!
Then, Bill came! Bill was the RT for the weekend. He was in in the morning, so initially I didn't have a lot of confidence in him (sometimes I feel they give in to dad too much and don't make him try). He said he had something different he wanted to try. It was called Vapotherm and he said it was the next step from getting off the vent and breathing on his own.
So, we were a little leery, but surely it couldn't be any worse. Well, not only was it not worse, it was a huge improvement. It is a hose that hooks up to Dad's trach tube and just has a stream of oxygen going in - Dad still does all the breathing (i.e. his lungs are doing the work) on his own. It also has a talking valve so Dad can actually talk (his writing isn't all that great, so sometimes it was a challenge deciphering his writing).
Dad was a new person. Oh my, I can't even describe it. He was perkier, feistier, and just overall had a huge mental attitude adjustment (I kind of feel bad for all the tough love I gave him yesterday!!). The new machine was put on around 1:30 and when we left at 7:00 it was still on. I'm pretty sure it will stay on all night (although I'm not sure of that, but I can't imagine why they would take it off).
I had just prayed in the morning that God would either take him quickly (hopefully that doesn't sound too morbid) or that he would have a huge change in his attitude. I'm so thankful that God chose the answer the latter prayer! He is good!
So, although I'm a little leery of posting such a good report (it seems like when I do that, I have to retract part of it the next day), I am trusting that this is the turning point and I can get off of this roller coaster ride (I knew I never liked roller coasters for a reason).
As always, thanks for your prayers! Continued prayers for the nurses, RT's, PT's, doctors, etc. who are in charge to bring the right solutions at the right time! Prayers for dad to continue to regain his strength and for his attitude and willingness to work hard. Thanks!
First, I'll tell you about the morning ('cuz you truly can't appreciate Bill until the morning has come and gone!). Mom and I came to the rehab facility around 8:30 this morning. When we came in Dad had the trach mask on (it is a mask that covers the trach tube - it blows oxygen in even though Dad is breathing on his own). He was sitting up in bed, so I thought it was going to be a good start.
I went down to get some hot chocolate and when I came back, dad was laying down and had the ventilator back on. When I asked him why, he said it just didn't feel good. I was so disappointed. Again, I just felt like Dad wasn't trying. I truly felt like I was sitting next to my dad watching him die. It definitely isn't a fun feeling. So, for the rest of the morning, we were all pretty sad saps!
Then, Bill came! Bill was the RT for the weekend. He was in in the morning, so initially I didn't have a lot of confidence in him (sometimes I feel they give in to dad too much and don't make him try). He said he had something different he wanted to try. It was called Vapotherm and he said it was the next step from getting off the vent and breathing on his own.
So, we were a little leery, but surely it couldn't be any worse. Well, not only was it not worse, it was a huge improvement. It is a hose that hooks up to Dad's trach tube and just has a stream of oxygen going in - Dad still does all the breathing (i.e. his lungs are doing the work) on his own. It also has a talking valve so Dad can actually talk (his writing isn't all that great, so sometimes it was a challenge deciphering his writing).
Dad was a new person. Oh my, I can't even describe it. He was perkier, feistier, and just overall had a huge mental attitude adjustment (I kind of feel bad for all the tough love I gave him yesterday!!). The new machine was put on around 1:30 and when we left at 7:00 it was still on. I'm pretty sure it will stay on all night (although I'm not sure of that, but I can't imagine why they would take it off).
I had just prayed in the morning that God would either take him quickly (hopefully that doesn't sound too morbid) or that he would have a huge change in his attitude. I'm so thankful that God chose the answer the latter prayer! He is good!
So, although I'm a little leery of posting such a good report (it seems like when I do that, I have to retract part of it the next day), I am trusting that this is the turning point and I can get off of this roller coaster ride (I knew I never liked roller coasters for a reason).
As always, thanks for your prayers! Continued prayers for the nurses, RT's, PT's, doctors, etc. who are in charge to bring the right solutions at the right time! Prayers for dad to continue to regain his strength and for his attitude and willingness to work hard. Thanks!
Comments