Prayers for Brady

I should have been blogging about this for the past couple of weeks and for some reason I just didn't think of it. Now I'm thinking of it, so I will blog it! Our former Sunday school teachers in Topeka have a son, Brady, who many years ago (I'm not sure of all the details) had a liver transplant. Over the last couple of years and especially over the last few weeks, his body is rejecting the liver. He is in surgery right now (Saturday, January 31) getting a new liver. I just want to blog some of the updates so you know what's been going on and can pray. I'll start with the oldest update I received and if you scroll down to the end, that'll be the most recent update. I know this family will appreciate your prayers!

On 1/17/09- Most recent news: an interdisciplinary team of doctors, (cardiologists, psychiatrists, neuropsych, liver specialists, surgeons) social workers, a transplant coordinator, and a few others will be meeting Wednesday (1/22) in order to determine what position I will be placed at on the transplant list. This team will also be discussing any further possible medication adjustments. The prayers are greatly appreciated as always. And I (brady) would actually count it a blessing if any of you started messaging me things to pray for you about. I have a lot of extra 'down time' these days, and I have found the joy and comfort in being able to bring requests before our almighty God and Creator. I would consider it a great blessing to e able to pray for any of you as you are praying for me.

1/20/09 - I just wanted to drop everybody a quick note and thank you all once again so very very much for all the prayers and support through my current trials. i cannot express in words what it means to me to have friends, family, and people i dont even know encouraging me and offering whatever they can to help out. I pray blessings for all of you. And as i've said in an earlier message Id love to be able to pray for and support any and all of you in whatever way i can, drop me a note back or write on the wall Love,
Brady

Update 1/22
Today at 7:30pm
I redrew labs today, Omaha got all the info that they need. I talked with them this afternoon and they told me that I am officially listed with a MELD score of 26 rather than a 20. As far as actual position on the list or approximate wait time, they could not give me any information as it varies significantly and is rather unpredictable. They did say to just be ready at all times pretty much. It was comforting to know that I now have a higher MELD score which puts me at a greater priority for a transplant. I will continue to update if anything changes.


1/28/09 - Please lift up Brady as soon as you see this note. His general health has been declining the last week. Pray for wisdom for Brady, Jeff, Judy and the doctors, and especially for Brady's well being. He is having an extremely difficult time right now physically and emotionally. Your prayers are so appreciated.

1/28 - 1:45pm - A lot has happened in the last few hours. Brady is now on his way to Omaha with his folks. A combination of a new higher MELD score - 32, and his declining health are the factors. It appears that Brady should be close to the top of the transplant list, so pray for a perfect liver for him, and for his health prior to, and after the surgery.

1/29/09 -Jeff called and Brady's health is declining rapidly. His MELD score is 36, which is the highest. The surgeon recommends a transplant as soon as possible. Pray for a perfect match

1/29/09 - Let's start another intensive prayer time for Brady. We're well aware that many of you are in fervent prayer for him. Let's do what we did when we started this group. Scroll through the most recent additions to the Wall and pick an hour when you will commit to spend some time praying for Brady and then list the time on the Wall of the group. Let's be doing this until Brady gets his transplant! With over 500 group members, duplicate times are unavoidable and welcome! Let's intensify on this weekend.

1/30/09 a.m. - I just talked with The Man himself! He sounded better than I expected. Even slept for over 5 hrs last night. But, the best news is that there is a liver available right now. They are doing more workups on Brady and the liver for a possible transplant this afternoon. Pray for this to be that perfect match! BTW his MELD has gone up to 42 - we had been told that 40 was the max! Hank

1/30/09 - 4:00 p.m. - There will be nothing happening until after 8pm tonight. This doesn't mean the liver match didn't work, just that there has been a delay. So, continue to pray for Brady and God's perfect match. Also, there is some concern now about kidney function that the doctors are monitoring and medicating. Pray for that as well.

1/30/09 - 9:30 p.m. - Brady's transplant is going to be tomorrow morning! It has been delayed today for a variety of reasons. So as you think about Brady tonight, pray for his general health and rest, and for his kidney function. What a journey that is ahead for the Sorensen family. I don't need to tell you all the vital areas for prayer. You know them, and you've been such great intercessors. Now we need to continue. You should know that the prayers are so appreciated, and they are being felt by Jeff, Judy and Brady.

Update 1/30
at 10:50pm
You may want to check Prayer for Brady Sorensen even before you go to bed tonight - we know the sleep habits some of you keep! You can even check for updates during the night. We will pass on to you the latest updates on Brady. His surgery could start early tomorrow morning. It will be a lengthy surgery as it is very complex, and it is a 2nd transplant. They've been told 8-12 hours! Until then, pray on.

It is now 4:25am on Saturday, 1/31/09. Brady will be going into surgery at 4:30am. As we know, it will be a long surgery, 8-12 hrs. So let's make our prayer times You will receive updates as they become available. This morning I'm thinking of Psalm 20, and where our hope and trust is. May God lead you to His word as we lift up the transplant to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Updating! It's now June!

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .