I'm Getting It This Time Around?? Maybe? I Think?
So, I just wanted to update a little on my weight loss journey. I appreciated a post a little while ago by my friend, Aimee, about her thoughts on weight loss and dieting. I agree 100% - it's about a lifestyle change, not a change to lose weight and then go back to doing what you were before.
The one thing I've learned about this from myself and talking with others over the years is that everyone has different views, struggles, opinions, etc. on the subject. I want to first just share some insights I've had for me!
The one thing I've learned about this from myself and talking with others over the years is that everyone has different views, struggles, opinions, etc. on the subject. I want to first just share some insights I've had for me!
- My weight loss journey is not necessarily to look better (although that is a benefit). It is to be healthy. To share something I'm not proud of and it's not easy to share - when I started this journey in September, I was considered obese by most if not all BMI charts. When the doctor said 'levels were elevated', I knew I had to kick it in gear and figure something out! I'm pleased to say that I'm no longer in the 'obese' category, but I'm still in the overweight category. I still have some work to do!
- I've always wanted to be the person who could overeat at one meal and then compensate for it at the next meal(s) (i.e. eat less over the next couple of meals). I've come to the realization that I'm not that person. If I overeat at one meal, my thought process is "I've blown it so I might as well just keep overeating". I know that's not logical, but it's how I think. So now I count calories and I plan for 'overeating'. If I know we're going out to supper or I know we are going to someone's house for dinner, I eat lighter throughout the day so I feel like I can eat reasonably when we're out.
- I wish I could eat more sweets. However, I feel like an alcoholic might feel - if I have one drink, where will it stop? That's how I feel about sweets and dessert. I know one cookie or one piece of cake or pie won't hurt me; however, I don't know if I'll be able to stop. So, I choose to stay away from those things.
I'm hopeful that some day, I'll be able to use logic and reason when it comes to eating. For now, I'm pleased that I've finally figured out that I can't do that for me. I need to be more methodical in my approach.
I'm pleased to report that to date, I've lost 42 pounds. I have about 24 more that I'd like to lose (actually I'd like to lose more, but I'd be happy with 24). So, if you think about it, say a prayer - it's a daily battle! And, if I'm over to your house and you offer dessert, please don't be offended if I pass!
Comments
you are awesome!!!