Aging Parents

** So I just reread this post - it's kind of a downer, so if you're not in the mood for that, then you should stop reading now! :)

For me, it's kind of weird to think of your parents getting older. I just always think of them being here forever for me to talk to, run problems by, laugh with, disagree with, etc. So, when a time comes where you realize they won't be around forever, it's a difficult pill to swallow.

I just talked with my Mom. She's been pretty much at my dad's side for the past 8 days while he's in the hospital. She's doing pretty well tonight, but she told me that she couldn't have talked to me last night as she was just too emotional (I had talked to her earlier in the afternoon, so I didn't think much of it when she didn't call in the evening).

So, my dad talked with the heart surgeon today and he said he would not recommend any surgery until at least the pneumonia is all cleared up and he has some type of bladder issue (I'm assuming the result of treatments for bladder cancer earlier this year) that needs to be cleared up. The surgeon also said that if Dad could avoid the 'knife', that's always best, especially at his age.

So, it sounds as if no surgery for now and they'll try to deal with his heart valve with medication. Now, I understand that could all change on a dime, but for now, it seems to be good news. I know that Dad was pleased with the prospect of not having surgery and I'm sure he's even more pleased that it was the surgeon who suggested no surgery.

So, kind of to get around to what I was saying to begin with about aging parents. What Dad has gone through just brings reality into full view. They won't be around forever. Now, I'm not expecting anyone to 'kick off' any time soon, but the reality is there and it makes me sad to even think about it. What makes it even more 'real' is that Mom and Dad want to show me and my brother where all their financial things are and what we need to know when 'it' happens. So, I think that's what we'll be doing over Thanksgiving. They also want us to go through stuff and if there is anything we want to start marking it.

I guess the good thing about planning is that everyone knows what's going on and where everything is. The bad thing about planning is realizing that your parents aren't going to be around forever.

I love you, Mom and Dad!

Comments

Stephanie said…
I got my first taste of this when I lost my very last Grandma. She was a buffer. It's amazing how old my parents seemed after her death. It'll be really hard to watch my parents age. There certainly are many stages in life aren't there? We're always adjusting to something.

Popular posts from this blog

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .

Back to Updating! It's now June!