School Conversations

I'm amazed that my 5 year old can read amazingly well without really any teaching from me. He's been able to read for over a year (obviously when I was teaching Jessica he was paying attention). However, I am equally amazed that we had a conversation like this this morning:

Me: What is this a picture of?

Eric: A fish.

Me: What is the vowel sound that goes with fish?

Eric: Uh, f?

Me: Eric, we just went over the vowels, is ‘f’ a vowel?

Eric: No.

Me: What is the vowel sound?

Eric: Uh, ‘sh’?

Me: Heavy sigh, head bent, thinking what in the world is going on!! Eric, how do you spell fish?

Eric: F- I – H – S.

Me: I was fine with the spelling since he got the F-I correct. So, I said YES! F-I! Eric, what is the vowel sound?

Eric: Uh, it’s not ‘e’.

Me: Arms up in the air. I finally excused him and said when he was ready to think a little and work with me, he could come back!

So, about 10 minutes later, he came back and we basically went over the same stuff as above, but he was able to figure the ‘I’ relatively quickly (we didn’t have to go through the ‘f’ and ‘sh’ as vowels first!)

I-YI-YI – how can a boy who can read relatively easily at the 1st grade level, struggle so much with this!

On days like this, I have to remember the reason I'm homeschooling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Updating! It's now June!

Mom

We Interrupt The Blogging Update . . .