The Proposal
So, David finally figures out I'm the one (hello - what took you so long?)! David is a very, how can I say it, outspoken personality. I'm not sure that too much would cause him any shock or embarrassment. So, once I knew for sure he was going to ask me to marry him, I was a little nervous as I really don't like attention drawn to me.
So, David came up with a very elaborate plan! Like I mentioned in previous posts, I traveled quite a bit for my job. So, I thought nothing of it when my boss (which is now a different boss, but still a great guy) asked me to go to San Antonio TX for a conference. Now, I'm a very trusting kind of gal - you tell me something and I take it at face value. So, I didn't even question that I thought it was unusual that this conference was on a Saturday. And if it was only a one day conference and got done on Saturday, why wasn't I flying home until Sunday? And, why did my boss not really have an agenda for the meeting? He asked me to go and I said sure! He was very appreciative that I'd be willing to give up my weekend for work!
So, I asked David if he were available to come along - after all, the conference ended Saturday afternoon, we could sight see until Sunday (visit the Alamo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas - now known as Six Flags over Texas). He was terribly disappointed, but he just couldn't afford it or spare the time (again - I take things at face value!!) I asked him if he could at least take me to the airport (it was about a 90 minute drive). Again, he just couldn't spare the time. I was getting a little frustrated at that - surely you have a few hours of time to take me to the airport!
So, I arranged to have another friend take me to the airport and I packed accordingly (business attire with a couple of casual outfits). It came time to go and my friend had something come up and couldn't take me to the airport (which she really did). So, David being the knight in shining armour came to my rescue to take me to the airport!
So, still thinking nothing of it, he drives me to the airport. As I'm getting my suitcase out of the car, he, lo and behold, pulls his suitcase out of the car. He decided to surprise me and come along.
Still being none the wiser (you must all think I'm not very smart at this point), I asked in amazement how he got on the same flight. He said he talked to my boss to find out the details so he could come with me. I even looked at the tickets - you think I might have been a little suspicious that the plane tickets were actually issued on the same date - hmmmmm!?
So, we had a good flight talking. Me being just thrilled that I wouldn't be in San Antonio TX all by myself. So we get to San Antonio, rent a car, and try to find the hotel. Now, to the best of my knowledge, I was staying at a very nice hotel right on the River Walk. Of course, I wasn't actually going to stay there, that was a little out of David's price range (which if you don't know by now, there was no business trip at all!). So, David acted a little lost and couldn't find the hotel so he pulled into another hotel parking lot (as if to look at a map - I was still CLUELESS).
Finally, at this hotel parking lot, David informed me that this wasn't a business trip, but a scheme planned by him! My boss even wrote a note for David to give to me just in case I didn't believe him. So, now I figured it out. I knew what was going to happen, I just didn't know when.
So, we had a fun filled weekend. We went to Fiesta Texas - no proposal there. We went on a romantic carriage ride - no proposal. We went on a nice river boat cruise for dinner - no proposal (come on already!!).
Finally, we took a nice romantic walk along the River Walk. David found a great bench by a fountain and popped the question! Of course I bawled and said yes! That was on June 24, 1995.
The next day, we went to Sea World and then flew home. On Monday, when I went back to work, my boss and co-workers decorated my desk to say congratulations and welcome me home! We had a short engagement - we were married on October 14, 1995.
Who would have thought that almost 13 years later, we'd be back in the state where the proposal occurred! So, that's the story of our proposal!
So, David came up with a very elaborate plan! Like I mentioned in previous posts, I traveled quite a bit for my job. So, I thought nothing of it when my boss (which is now a different boss, but still a great guy) asked me to go to San Antonio TX for a conference. Now, I'm a very trusting kind of gal - you tell me something and I take it at face value. So, I didn't even question that I thought it was unusual that this conference was on a Saturday. And if it was only a one day conference and got done on Saturday, why wasn't I flying home until Sunday? And, why did my boss not really have an agenda for the meeting? He asked me to go and I said sure! He was very appreciative that I'd be willing to give up my weekend for work!
So, I asked David if he were available to come along - after all, the conference ended Saturday afternoon, we could sight see until Sunday (visit the Alamo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas - now known as Six Flags over Texas). He was terribly disappointed, but he just couldn't afford it or spare the time (again - I take things at face value!!) I asked him if he could at least take me to the airport (it was about a 90 minute drive). Again, he just couldn't spare the time. I was getting a little frustrated at that - surely you have a few hours of time to take me to the airport!
So, I arranged to have another friend take me to the airport and I packed accordingly (business attire with a couple of casual outfits). It came time to go and my friend had something come up and couldn't take me to the airport (which she really did). So, David being the knight in shining armour came to my rescue to take me to the airport!
So, still thinking nothing of it, he drives me to the airport. As I'm getting my suitcase out of the car, he, lo and behold, pulls his suitcase out of the car. He decided to surprise me and come along.
Still being none the wiser (you must all think I'm not very smart at this point), I asked in amazement how he got on the same flight. He said he talked to my boss to find out the details so he could come with me. I even looked at the tickets - you think I might have been a little suspicious that the plane tickets were actually issued on the same date - hmmmmm!?
So, we had a good flight talking. Me being just thrilled that I wouldn't be in San Antonio TX all by myself. So we get to San Antonio, rent a car, and try to find the hotel. Now, to the best of my knowledge, I was staying at a very nice hotel right on the River Walk. Of course, I wasn't actually going to stay there, that was a little out of David's price range (which if you don't know by now, there was no business trip at all!). So, David acted a little lost and couldn't find the hotel so he pulled into another hotel parking lot (as if to look at a map - I was still CLUELESS).
Finally, at this hotel parking lot, David informed me that this wasn't a business trip, but a scheme planned by him! My boss even wrote a note for David to give to me just in case I didn't believe him. So, now I figured it out. I knew what was going to happen, I just didn't know when.
So, we had a fun filled weekend. We went to Fiesta Texas - no proposal there. We went on a romantic carriage ride - no proposal. We went on a nice river boat cruise for dinner - no proposal (come on already!!).
Finally, we took a nice romantic walk along the River Walk. David found a great bench by a fountain and popped the question! Of course I bawled and said yes! That was on June 24, 1995.
The next day, we went to Sea World and then flew home. On Monday, when I went back to work, my boss and co-workers decorated my desk to say congratulations and welcome me home! We had a short engagement - we were married on October 14, 1995.
Who would have thought that almost 13 years later, we'd be back in the state where the proposal occurred! So, that's the story of our proposal!
Comments