Detours in the Relationship
So, as I mentioned previously there were some slight detours in my relationship with David. The first one being right after he said it was OK to consider us 'officially dating'. Within a day or two he regretted the decision. He talked with a really good friend who told him to basically make a commitment to not see me for 6 weeks (I'm very good friends with this person today, but at the time I could have strangled her).
So, he thought that was a good idea and told me about it. I, of course, was not thrilled with the idea, but went along with it. It wasn't a battle I was going to pick. After about 1 week of not seeing each other, we decided it would be OK to have lunch together every now and then. After all, it's not like we'd be alone - it was in a cafeteria where lots of other people ate! After about 2 weeks, he decided he didn't want to do that anymore, so we started to see each other on a regular basis. So much for sticking to the 6 weeks!
Another detour was on New Year's Eve of 1994. His ex-fiance came into town and called him. Now, David was still hooked on her and it's hard for him to say no. She was the type that if David was available, she didn't really want anything to do with him, but once involved, then she seemed to come back into the picture. So, I spent New Year's Eve with friends (fortunately the Nebraska Cornhuskers were playing for the National Championship so I had something to do!).
We did spend New Years Day together and all was fine. I wasn't pleased with the situation, but knew that if I put an ultimatum, that there was a good chance I would lose. I needed David to figure out for himself that I was the one he should be with.
When I was in the working world, I traveled some. On one particular traveling session, I was going to be gone for 3 weeks only being home on the weekends. I was sure this would be the deciding point for our relationship. I was sure it would be either 'Out of sight, out of mind' or 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'. Fortunately it was the latter! After my travels was the first time David said 'I love you' and it was smooth sailing from there.
We talked of marriage and we both knew it was heading down that path. His ex-fiance came into the picture one more time, but David's decision had been made. It was definitely God in all of this. There were some key, Godly, people that came into David's life just at the right time to give him sound guidance and counsel. These were people that David respected so he listened intently to their words.
So, on June 24, 1995, the proposal came. How? When? Where? That will be next time!
So, he thought that was a good idea and told me about it. I, of course, was not thrilled with the idea, but went along with it. It wasn't a battle I was going to pick. After about 1 week of not seeing each other, we decided it would be OK to have lunch together every now and then. After all, it's not like we'd be alone - it was in a cafeteria where lots of other people ate! After about 2 weeks, he decided he didn't want to do that anymore, so we started to see each other on a regular basis. So much for sticking to the 6 weeks!
Another detour was on New Year's Eve of 1994. His ex-fiance came into town and called him. Now, David was still hooked on her and it's hard for him to say no. She was the type that if David was available, she didn't really want anything to do with him, but once involved, then she seemed to come back into the picture. So, I spent New Year's Eve with friends (fortunately the Nebraska Cornhuskers were playing for the National Championship so I had something to do!).
We did spend New Years Day together and all was fine. I wasn't pleased with the situation, but knew that if I put an ultimatum, that there was a good chance I would lose. I needed David to figure out for himself that I was the one he should be with.
When I was in the working world, I traveled some. On one particular traveling session, I was going to be gone for 3 weeks only being home on the weekends. I was sure this would be the deciding point for our relationship. I was sure it would be either 'Out of sight, out of mind' or 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'. Fortunately it was the latter! After my travels was the first time David said 'I love you' and it was smooth sailing from there.
We talked of marriage and we both knew it was heading down that path. His ex-fiance came into the picture one more time, but David's decision had been made. It was definitely God in all of this. There were some key, Godly, people that came into David's life just at the right time to give him sound guidance and counsel. These were people that David respected so he listened intently to their words.
So, on June 24, 1995, the proposal came. How? When? Where? That will be next time!
Comments